Sunday, March 20, 2011

Black and Purple

Last night was a real heart breaker for me and many many other K-State Wildcat fans across the nation. We watched as I hope rose and fell throughout the game as Jacob Pullen made history and became the leading scorer in K-State basketball history, as we led, then trailed, the led and finally had our hopes swatted away with Pullen's last attempt at a three pointer.

It was a heartbreaking loss and I would be lying if I said I didn't shed a tear... but really who didn't? But to me, it was more than just a lost basketball game. To me.. it was the end to a lot of great memories and life changing events. This week's blog is in honor of the mens basketball team and the great memories they brought me.

Our song this week is "Black and Purple" by Aaron Bell haha enjoy. 




Let me start by being completely honest. I was not a K-State basketball fan two years ago. I never bought tickets to games and told my friends they were a waste of time during the week that should be spent on focusing on school. So, when I bought the icat ticket package last year I was slightly irritated with the fact that they came with basketball tickets. They weren't anything I wanted or needed. So, I didn't attend the first few games, thinking I wasn't missing out on anything. One day, my dear friend Andrew called me up and asked me to attend a game with him. I really wasn't thrilled about going but decided to go anyway. While it was a small game in preseason I caught the fever. Soon I was attending almost every game with my friend Sarah, sitting as close as we could in the icat section... throwing our newspaper when the cats were announced, and cheering on the cats to victories.

Last years season brought so many fond memories. Waiting in line in the cold to watch the Clemente, Colon and Pullen take down the Texas Longhorns. Hanging out in Blake's apartment with my closest friends as we watched the boys go into overtime against Xavier to make it to the Elite Eight.. and then hearing Manhattan erupt into cheers of celebration.

These are some of my fondest memories of my Junior year, so obviously, I couldn't wait until the next season to start. What fan couldn't? Pre-ranked 3rd in the nation! This season promised to be one of the most memorable.

The season started out fabulous. Then controversy struck, losses happened and players quit. Many people wrote off the Cats, but the Wildcat nation still had pride and hope for the future. February 14. The remarkable Kansas Jayhawks, newly ranked number one, came to the Octagon of Doom. Sitting in my apartment on my air mattress watching the game on my laptop I had never been more proud as the Cats beat down a team that has had many solid victories over them. I wanted to be nowhere else in the World than with my fellow students and Wildcat fans storming the court at Bramlage.




From that same spot I watched the Cats take on team after team and demand back the respect they had lost over the past few months. I watched them get selected 5th for the NCAA Tournament, take on the Utah State Aggies and the finally, the heartbreaking, season ending loss to Wisconsin. My emotions defiantly got the best of me, because for me... it was more than just another loss.

You see, this basketball team means a
lot to me. It was more than just something I went to and watched on tv.

It was fantastic times with friends at games.

It was sharing K-State for the first time with my little sister at the Mizzou game.

It was sitting at a K-State game with my best friends after I had decided to go to photo school that I was filled with such pride that I KNEW I just had to come back to K-State and graduate, because I was a true Wildcat and could not see myself not being a graduate.

It was never giving up, even when things looked the worst, to become successful again.

It was the joy that came with a victory.

It was my connection to home every game night from thousands of miles away.

It was "skyping" through games with Sara and Andrew.

It was calling my mom and discussing our thoughts on the team.

It is the Pride of wearing purple with thousands of other friends.

It was so much more than a team for me. Watching this basketball team brought me joy and taught me a lot of lessons. It was a little heartbreaking to see them lose, but I know there are greater things to come, for me, for the basketball team, for Jacob Pullen.

I know that the next time I see the Cats take the court in Bramalge, I will be there... with some of my closest friends again, ready to make many more great memories.

So for now, maybe I'll become a Bat-Cats fan... who knows.

All I do know is that I am going to miss that beard.

Until next time-
Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment